Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

I am so tired, I think I'll finish this tomorrow- but wanted to think tonight about some of the things I'm thankful for.

Most of all- family.  Not just my loving husband and 3 wonderful children, but of course my parents, who put us all up for three months at their house with minimal complaint, and who are always generous with their time and love.  Even if we don't get to see them as much, Eric's parents are also a big part of our lives, and we are lucky to have a memere and pepere who so adore their grandchildren. We're also fortunate to be so close to my aunt Jane and uncle Ed, who love my kids (almost) as much as their own grandchildren.  And I'm glad that my sister is mostly living in this country, and sees a lot of us- and that the kids love her, too.
Asher and his planet Earth

I am thankful that both Eric and I are employed, and that we like our jobs and do work that we find meaningful and fulfilling.  I love where I work and the people I work with, and appreciate everyday the fact that I was able to purse a doctorate and a career that I plan to enjoy for many years.

I am thankful for our health.  Despite runny noses from September through April and a stomach bug here and there, we are all extremely healthy and well.
Benjamin and his globe
I've also been thinking about how thankful I am for all of our friends.  We have developed a great group of friends, who have been supportive and helpful through this year.  When we moved into our new house, they helped us move.  They brought us dinners, gave us hand-me-down clothes, babysat during funerals and brought food to shivas.  It makes such a difference in our lives to have this kind of support and social interaction.  I love watching our kids grow up together, and the boys look forward to seeing and playing with their friends.
half of our Thanksgiving table
our table from the other direction
Beautiful Charlotte with my cousin Susannah
her holiday dress
I'm also thankful everyday for the little things that we take for granted that I know aren't a given- a roof over our heads in a warm house with a comfortable bed; more food than we can eat and the money to pay for it; clean running water; a safe and friendly neighborhood; good schools with interested teachers.

Everyday I'm thankful for a multitude of things.  I feel lucky everyday- how did I end up with such a wonderful life?  We aren't rich, we don't travel the world or even get to take many date nights, but it's a good life, filled with love, family and friends.  We approach everything with excitement and interest, and that makes our life bigger and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment