Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Broad St Run 2015

Pre-race- we got there 6 minutes after the race started and still had 30 minutes to wait
Sunday I ran the Broad Street Run for the 3rd year in a row.  It's the way I got started running, and now I really look forward to it.  We had perfect weather, too- sunny, not a cloud in the sky, and really not too hot until the end of the race.

The first year I ran it, my time was 10:05/mile; this year it was 9:31. I am not sure how significant that change is, because it doesn't seem like a huge deal, but I am getting faster each time I run.  I started out even faster, but lost steam around mile 6-7.  Mile 7-10 are always my least favorite, so maybe it was a psychological thing? The sun getting hotter? I just couldn't wait to be done!

I'm now registered for 2 more races, both half-marathons, both of which I did last year.  Just to keep me moving.  It feels like quite an accomplishment to run all those miles.  Yesterday I saw a spectator with a sign that said, "Run with gratitude- each mile is a blessing" or something like that.  It was just what I needed, to remember that I am so lucky to have this body, my health, the ability to run those 10 miles on my own two legs. Even though there are 40,000 people who run that race every year, not everyone can, and I am grateful for that.
Attempt to capture some of the thousands of people who ran
Selfie by City Hall with Alex
Since the race, I haven't felt great- I started with a sore throat on Sunday night and then felt achy, sore, and tired all day Monday.  Over the course of the day today I began to feel better, but still not myself- a little sniffly and congested. I am not sure if the lack of sleep (pre-race anxiety) and all the exertion of the race took a toll or what.

Post-race selfie with Alex
Jess, me, Alex
3 years in a row of running Broad Street- it really is a fun race and I look forward to all the crowds, music, and excitement along the course.  I'm already looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment